Research Articles >
College of Science >
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||Total Phenol Content and Antioxidant Activity of Okra Seeds from Different Genotypes|
|Authors: ||Graham, Jochebed O.|
Agbenorhevi, Jacob K.
Kpodo, Fidelis M.
|Issue Date: ||2017|
|Publisher: ||American Journal of Food and Nutrition|
|Citation: ||American Journal of Food and Nutrition, 2017, Vol. 5, No. 3, 90-94; Available online at http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajfn/5/3/2|
|Abstract: ||Okra (Abelmoschus spp.) is a staple vegetable in Ghana and several countries world-wide. It has potential for several uses but is mostly under-utilized in Ghana. In this study, the total phenol content and antioxidant activity of five different okra seed genotypes (Asha, Asontem, Agbagoma, Sengevi and Penkruma), subjected to different treatments, were determined. A sensory test was performed to determine the acceptability of tea made with the okra seeds. The total phenol content and free radical scavenging activity of the samples were determined by means of Folin-Ciocalteu method and DPPH assay, respectively. An affective test was used for the sensory analysis. The results indicated that undefatted samples had the highest total phenol content (34.89-39.39 mg GAE/100 g) whereas defatted samples recorded the least (27.83-30.39 mg GAE/100 g). Defatted samples had % DPPH inhibition in the range of 46.38 to 64.00%) whereas that of undefatted samples ranged 34.39-53.00%. However, for the tea infusion of the defatted samples, “Penkruma” had the highest % DPPH Inhibition 60.42±3.90%) whereas “Agbagoma”, the least (36.94±2.81%). “Agbagoma” and “Sengevi” okra seeds tea infusions had the highest total phenol content (31.56±2.28 and 31.72±3.06 mg GAE/100 g, respectively) while “Penkruma” had the least (28.17±0.31 mg GAE/100 g). About 40% of the sensory panellists liked the tea infusion and were willing to purchase if made available on the market. The remaining 60% however, disliked the infusion because of its taste and stated that they would prefer it with additives such as sweeteners and milk. However, the findings suggest that the okra seed genotypes have considerable amounts of phenols and antioxidant activity and their utilization as tea or in other diets could provide antioxidant benefits.|
|Description: ||An article published by American Journal of Food and Nutrition, 2017, Vol. 5, No. 3, 90-94;
Available online at http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajfn/5/3/2; DOI:10.12691/ajfn-5-3-2|
|Appears in Collections:||College of Science|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.