KNUSTSpace >
Conference Proceedings >
College of Health Sciences >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/14432

Title: Factors affecting non-use of long-lasting insecticide treated nets among pregnant women in Kumasi Metropolis, Ghana
Authors: Tahiru, Sulemana
Edusei, Anthony K.
Keywords: Non-Use
Insecticide Treated Nets
Pregnant Women
Kumasi Metropolis
Issue Date: 19-Jul-2021
Abstract: Pregnant women by virtue of their physiological status remain one of the most vulnerable groups to malaria. Malaria can adversely affect birth outcomes and can lead to a spontaneous abortion, pre-term labour, low birth weight, and stillbirth. Pregnancy on its part affects the prognosis of malaria and enhances progression to the severe form of the disease. The National Malaria Control Program therefore considers malaria in pregnancy as priority area to address. A total of 400 pregnant women were selected from Kumasi Metropolis for the study. The study sought to investigate factors contributing to non-use of LLINs among pregnant women in Kumasi Metropolis. A cross-sectional design was used. Simple random sampling technique was used to select 400 respondents. One eligible respondent was selected from each household, in a household where there were more than one eligible respondent, simple random sampling was used to select one of them through the ballot method. Data was collected from pregnant women of all ages irrespective of the gestational age of the pregnancy at the household level between July and August 2019. In the study population 400, majority 309 (77.3%) are married women. The results indicated that 396 (99.0%) have a knowledge on how mosquito transmit malaria from one person to the other and 4 (1.0%) with no knowledge. Of 400 study population, 258 (81.6%) slept under LLIN the night prior to the study with 58 (18.4%) did not sleep under LLIN. There was no significant statistical association between socio-demographic characteristics and possession of LLIN’s and its use. The LLIN’s possession and its utilization was encouraging in the Kumasi Metropolis among pregnant women in the household as a result of free mass distribution of LLIN’s. National Malaria Control Programme should continue and sustain the free mass distribution of the LLIN’s to improve on household ownership and utilization
Description: A thesis submitted to the Department of Health Promotion, Education and Disability Studies, School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Award of Degree of Master of Public Health in Health Promotion and Education. November, 2019
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/14432
Appears in Collections:College of Health Sciences

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Tahiru Sulemana.pdf698 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback