Research Articles >
College of Architecture and Planning >
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||Kumasi Club|
|Authors: ||Kotei, Niifio|
|Issue Date: ||5-Jun-2012|
|Series/Report no.: ||1676;|
|Abstract: ||The Kumasi is a private establishment with the objective of promoting social interaction and recreation between people of all nationalities. The club’s premises are situated in the civic precinct of the Central Business District (CBD) of Kumasi, along Fort Road which branches off Stewart Avenue and between Ghana Armed Forces Museum, commonly called the Red Fort, and the Central Government Offices, generally referred to as the Ministries, to the north of the site lie the Law Courts and to the south the Town and Country Planning Department and St, George’s Chapel. The site is roughly 1600m2 in area, of which approximately 40% has been developed.
The club dates back to the colonial era, when it was call the Kumasi European Club, and only Europeans were allowed to use the facility. The original premises of the Kumasi European Club were in the red Fort, which was under British control at the time. In the early part of the century a fire broke out in the fort and the club’s premises were destroyed. Funds collected from insurance were used to acquire and develop the site on which the club stands today. After independence, the rules of the Club were in 1962 changed to allow membership to people of all nationalities. The property is covered by a lease to the Registered Trustee of the Kumasi Club (the original lease was executed in October 1932 and construction started immediately afterwards). At present, the Club has a multi-purpose hall with 2 bars, one for serving drinks and the other for serving food; a dining area, 2 kitchens; an office for the administrative manager; a video room; a mini-cinema hall, a snooker room; a tennis court and a badminton court; toilet facilities and changing rooms.
Management of the affairs and finances of the club is rested in a committee elected from among the members of the club. This management committee employ as administrative manager to assist them in their task. The club also has 4 permanent trustees, in whom are vested the real property and investments of the club, and whose duty it is to ensure that the proper investment of the property plant and furnishings of the club are maintained and regularly checked. Membership is open to person of good reputation and character above the age of 25. Currently the club has 450 members, most of whom are businessmen or professionals. 300 of whom are full members, the rest being out-station members (i.e. live beyond a 20 mile radius of Kumasi). Apart from outdoor sports, club members engage in indoor games such as draughts, chess, scrabble, table tennis, ludo and cards. The committee also organizes various programmes which include dance, lectures and plays.
The club has reciprocal membership with the following establishment, Ashanti Goldfield Senior Staff Club, Ghana Social Club, Obuasi; Accra; Hilltop Club, cape Coast; Ikeye Club, Nigeria; UST Senior Staff Club, Kumasi.|
|Description: ||A thesis submitted to the Department of Architecture, in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the Post Graduate Diploma in Architecture.|
|Appears in Collections:||College of Architecture and Planning|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.