KNUSTSpace >
Theses / Dissertations >
Distance Learning >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/4282

Title: The Evaluation of Employees Performance Appraisal in the Ghana Health Services: A Case Study of St. Patrick Hospital – Offinso
Authors: Dora, Lumor
Issue Date: 13-Jun-2011
Abstract: Performance appraisal showed a structured formal interaction between a subordinate and supervisor that usually takes the form of a periodic interview (annual or semi-annual),in which the work performance of the subordinate is examined and discussed, with a view to identifying weaknesses and strengths as well as opportunities for improvement and skills development; has become the most powerful tool to calibrate, refine and reward the performance of the employee. The performance of the Ghana Health Service in recent time has come under barrage of criticisms in terms of inefficiency in the discharge of duties causing the untimely death of relations by the general public without recourse to the deplorable working conditions under which employees put their lives on the line in ensuring that Ghanaians enjoy better health facilities, particularly on employees performance appraisals. The study thus adopted the general objective to ascertain the extent and/or adequacy of employee’ appraisals within the Ghana Health Services and its impact on health delivery in the country. A sample size of sixty (60), comprising (10) senior staff and fifty (50) \junior staff of the target population (250) responded to the administered questionnaire; 16.67% of the respondents were senior staff, while the junior staff registered the remaining 83.33%;a ratio of 1:1.1 with regard to male and female distribution respectively, indicating enough evidence of gender balance in both men and women(i.e. distribution was gender fairly represented). The findings of the research indicated that the current appraisal system as a tool to provide the objective assessment of staff received a negative response with the notable reasons as in: it is inconclusive and unreliable, appraiser can be biased towards the appraise, fraught with favoritism and there was ample evidence to poor supervision of work, inability to monitor employees by supervisors due to nepotism, job description are not clearly spelt out to employees. In the light of these findings recommendations of St. Patrick Hospital formulating a well structured Appraisal System which could be reviewed periodically for optimum results in the area of proper, independent and objective assessments of performance, officers need to undergo training and re-training to enhance their efficiency and effectiveness in the quest protect lives and property, proper reward system.
Description: A Thesis submitted to the Institute of Distance Learning, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Commonwealth Executive Masters in Business Administration, June, 2011
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/4282
Appears in Collections:Distance Learning

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback