DSpace
 

KNUSTSpace >
Journal of Science and Technology (JUST) >
Journal of Science and Technology 2000- >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/5291

Title: Radiation-Related Eye Diseases among Welders of Suame ‘Magazine’ in the Kumasi Metropolis
Authors: Kumah, D.B.
Cobbina, F.
Duodu, D.J.
Keywords: Welders
radiation-related
pterygium
photoconjunctivitis
photokeratitis
cataract
Issue Date: Dec-2011
Publisher: Journal of Science and Technology
Citation: Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2011, pp 37-43
Abstract: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of radiations on the ocular health of welders and to determine the prevalence of ocular diseases among them in the Kumasi metropolis. In this study, 470 welders (test group) and 450 non-welders (control group) at Suame “Magazine” in the Kumasi metropolis were enrolled for the study. Methods employed in the examination were the administration of a questionnaire seeking clinical and ocular history, visual acuity measurements, external eye examination and ophthalmoscopy. Where necessary, referrals were written for patients to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) for further examination and treatment. Two hundred and forty two welders, (51.1%) had worked for a period of over ten years. The chief ocular complaints found amongst the respondents were gritty sensation (65.1%) and excessive tearing (56.0%). The commonest radiation-related ocular diseases were pterygium (56.6%), photoconjunctivitis (22.6%) and cataract (5.1%) whereas in the control group the commonest conditions were pterygium (6.2%), pinguecula (2.2%) and cataract (1.3%). There was a small number of retinopathies associated with radiation (4.0%). Most (60.0%) of the welders used electricity (arc welding) and the remaining (40.0%) used carbide (oxy-acetylene flame). A total of 308 ( 65.5%) welders and 76 (16.9%) non-welders (control group) had one or more ocular conditions. The prevalence of eye diseases among the welders and control group is thus 65.5% and 16.9% respectively. In conclusion, it was seen that the ocular symptoms and ailments prevalent among the welders were most likely due to the radiations they are exposed to in their work environment.
Description: Article published in the Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2011, pp 37-43
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/5291
Appears in Collections:Journal of Science and Technology 2000-

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Kumah.pub.2.pdf43.81 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback