The effect of occupational health and safety on productivity of project employees of Wilkins engineering limited

Thumbnail Image
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
The numerous cases of injuries, fatalities, recurrent absenteeism and enormous compensation costs that characterize most Ghanaian industries are a worry to the nation’s economic development. These adverse repercussions of unhealthy and unsafe working environment continue to stifle employees’ productivity and have the tendency of impeding economic growth. Globally, about 4% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is lost due to poor workplace health and safety policies, which is just the immediate cost of hazardous and unhealthy job setting. To effectively tackle this menace, it is expedient to really know and understand the effects of occupational health and safety of an organization on employee’s productivity. Quantitative research strategy and structured survey design were used in gathering data from Wilkins Engineering Limited to determine the impact of general challenges of health and safety practices on employee productivity. The results revealed that 84.3% of respondents said there is extreme impact of H&S challenges on employee’s level of productivity and performance. Also, 82.6% stated that challenges of H&S have extreme impact on their attendance to work. With regard to the concentration levels of employees, while 48.7% stated there is great impact, the remaining 51.3% of respondents said H&S challenges would have extreme impact on their concentration levels at work. Findings from the study indicate that health and safety are vital to one’s productivity. The study recommends that the organization should make Occupational Health and Safety a top most priority, as it is very pertinent in enhancing productivity and also safeguarding employees’ health. Also, the organization should conduct frequent safety trainings for employees. Finally there should be a system that evaluates, monitors and controls risk at work places in order to reduce the decline in productivity associated with any kind of risk
A thesis submitted to the Department of Construction Technology and Management, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Award Degree of Master of Science in Project Management.
Effect, Occupational Health, Safety, Project Employees, Wilkins engineering limited